RCL DANGELS finish on a high!

RC Bern 0-34 Dangels

The last match before the Winter pause saw a strong squad of 22 players head over to the Wankdorf to take on our close rivals Bern. Strengthened in the centre by the returning Schlumpf and Meli, team selection was difficult once again. With no injuries from the Zurich match, 7 substitutes were eager to see game time.

A slow start to the game was not helped by the referee’s whistle being blown repeatedly, meaning both sides struggled to gain momentum. Bern, already missing Faba at fly-half through injury, lost another of their best players when Padler had to go off with a muscle tear after just 3 minutes, weakening the Bern pack further. Fingers crossed Padler’s injury isn’t too bad – for sure the beers afterwards will have helped the pain 😉

13 minutes in and after several close calls, Luzern finally got on the scoresheet when Carole received the ball wide and was able to break 2 tackles before scoring in the corner to make it 5-0. Typically brilliant finishing from the blonde bombshell.

The Dangels’ forwards began to assert their superior size and technique, constantly winning scrums and Nadja causing havoc at the line out. However the backs couldn’t capitalise on the possession, with knock-ons and turnover ball constantly preventing us from making it over the tryline.

Manu made a couple of brilliant runs, one which should have seen her score. However, seeing a flag to her left she grounded the ball too early when put through and the try was disallowed.

Bern tackled hard and did their best to disrupt Luzern’s passing. With the score still 5-0 at halftime, there were some anxious faces around.

3 changes were made at halftime to freshen things up. Gradually the handling became more sure and the forwards made more yards with their carries – Eva and Cynthia showing great aggression with their running and Mac backing them up with good support.

It took 15 minutes of the second half, but eventually a breakthrough came. After a great drive by the forwards, superb handling from the backs saw Carole put through near the touch line. 10-0.

The team was relaxed now and it showed, with hands from forwards and backs more sure and running more aggressive. Another great break from the backs saw Aline drop a pass behind her. No matter. She ran back, picked it up and proceeded to sprint past three players, with two mean handoffs stopping a tackle being made. What A try! The conversion made it 17-0.

The sun came out and there was a spring in the step of all the girls in blue, as everyone wanted a touch of the ball. Lindsey had already shown great running and good hands, but after Esti and Schlumpf combined to give her the ball in the middle of the park, the sideline went crazy as our (third) American warrior burst through two opposition players and sprinted for the posts for a stunning try and a bonus point for the team. U-S-A!!! Lolli added the kick to take us to 24-0.

With fifteen minutes left, all the subs were put on the field to go and show what they could do. It is fantastic that the level of play remained the same high standard it was before the changes.

Two more tries for Sarah Mac came as the result of great forward play and were a just reward for a superb showing from the captain, who tackled and ran hard throughout despite illness and jetlag.

Final score 34-0.

Angel of the match: Cynthia led a dominant pack. Ran, passed and tackled great (except the missed tackle on her ‘other half!’)

Devil: Manu for thinking she had scored when she hadn’t!


report by LUKE

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.